Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Holiday Pet Safety - Plants

Photo by Petr Kratochvil
The kennel at which I also work got a beautiful poinsettia arrangement delivered yesterday. I remember thinking while it was a very thoughtful gesture, didn't the sender know poinsettias are poinsonous to dogs and cats?!?! This promoted me to do some research and this is what I found.

The Pet Poison Hotline website states that poinsettas are mildly toxic to cats, dogs, horses, cows, and birds and may cause drooling, vomiting and possibly diarrhea but it doesn't sound like it would kill your pet. That's a relief, but I think I'll err on the side of caution anyway in my home.

Apparently there are other plants that are far worse for your pet. They include lilies, holly or mistletoe. I love lillies and never knew they were poisonous. Thankfully I've never had a cat eat them.

You might also want to deter your pet from drinking the water in the Christmas tree stand. It could have preservatives or bacteria that can upset your pet's digestive track.


No comments:

Post a Comment